Know your rights and responsibilities.


Repairs and Maintenance

Your Responsibilities

You are responsible for the ordinary cleanliness of your rental unit while living there.

If you or your guests cause damage in your rental unit, you are responsible for the repairs. These repairs must be done in a timely manner. You may be evicted from your rental unit if you do not repair damage in a reasonable time. These repairs do not include normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear means damage that occurs over time to a rental unit.

You must pay your rent. You cannot hold back rent from your landlord until the repairs are done. If you do, your rent can be considered late and your landlord can evict you.

See Evictions for more information.

Your Rights

Your landlord must keep the property in a good state of repair and fit for living while you are renting. If there are repairs needed in your rental unit or on the property, let your landlord know immediately. This should be done verbally, as well as in writing. Your landlord should deal with the repair and maintenance issues in a timely manner.

If your landlord does not do the repairs in a timely manner, you can apply to the Rental Office to get an order requiring them to do the repairs. Use Form 2 - Application for Enforcement of Statutory or Other Conditions of Rental Agreement. You must go through the hearing process to get an order. It is important to have evidence documenting any contact you had with your landlord about the issue. 

See Preparing for a Hearing for more information.

You may also want to contact Environmental Health if the repair is related to a health matter, such as heat, mould or plumbing.

See Health and Safety for more information.

Decorating Changes

Decorating changes, such as painting or changing the flooring, are not considered repairs. For example, there is no regulation or law that requires landlords to paint the premises every time a tenant moves out.

If you wish to make decorating changes while renting, such as painting the walls, you must request permission from your landlord. If you do not get permission and make changes anyway, your landlord could keep your security deposit.

Forms you may need:

Form 2 – Application for Enforcement of Statutory or Other Conditions of Rental Agreement