Know your rights and responsibilities.


Tenant Insurance

If you rent, you may want tenant insurance. Tenant insurance is an insurance plan that protects people living in a rental unit as well as their belongings.

Tenant insurance is not required by law on PEI. However, some landlords may require you to have it as part of your rental agreement. If you sign a rental agreement that says you will purchase tenant insurance and you do not, you could be evicted for breaking the rental agreement.

Most tenant insurance policies cover:

  • Personal belongings - if there is a fire, theft, or water damage, insurance may cover the cost to replace clothes, furniture, appliances, electronics and other items. This can include loss or damage to personal belongings not located in your rental unit.
  • Additional living expenses – if you must move out temporarily because of flood or fire damage, tenant insurance will reimburse you or provide you with money for hotel stays, restaurant meals, and moving costs.
  • Liability – if you cause harm to another person in your building or if someone is injured in your apartment, insurance can protect you if the person sues you.

Tenant insurance policies can be purchased through insurance companies. They can vary from company to company and person to person. You can search for the company and policy that best fits your needs.

Homeowner’s Insurance

Your landlord’s homeowner insurance protects the building itself. It does not usually cover your personal belongings.